The radio campaign for the promotion of sustainable medicinal plant use in Bulgaria consists of a series of radio broadcasts, interviews and programs, aired on: Horizont radio station, as well as the Plovdiv and Stara Zagora regional radio stations.
The goals of the campaign are:
- To provide useful and understandable information to medicinal plant collectors, buyers and processors, which would help them to increase their profits, while decreasing the threats to medicinal plant populations.
- Dissemination of information about medicinal plant cultivation for farmers and other interested parties.
- Promotion of the possibilities the current project offers to all interested parties and the general public, in order to aid and stimulate their participation in trainings and consultations in the Mobile Information Center, participation in the Medicinal Plant Fair and all other public events.
The radio broadcasts are in Bulgarian. If you have a special interest in the specific content of the programs, feel free to contact us and we will do our best to provide you with a summary. The main topics of the pieces aired so far are:
- Information about the project and the Bulgarian National Radio campaign
- Bulgarian medicinal plants on the global market
- The role of medicinal plants in the livelihood and economics of the country
- Medicinal plant conservation
- The Loddon Lily (Leucojum aestivum) – a valuable raw material for the pharmaceutical industry
- Herbs in the traditions and customs of the Bulgarian people
123 of the radio spots broadcasted during the project were chosen and included in an audio disc (in Bulgarian). They are classified into the following topics: calendar of medicinal plant use and rules for MAP collection; cultivation of medicinal plants; conservation of medicinal plant resources in Bulgaria; herb processing for the manufacturing of products.
The radio broadcasts include recordings of tens of herb traders and processors, botanists, pharmacists, collectors, farmers and creators of cultivars and planting material, experts from governmental and scientific institutions responsible for medicinal plant management. Тhe interviewees share valuable information about more than 60 medicinal plant species and give examples of successful livelihood opportunities relying on medicinal plants.
If you would like to listen to the broadcasts in Bulgarian, click here!